Sewer Deducting Meters

A Tallmadge resident using a sprinkler system for outside watering in the summer months can purchase a sewer deduct meter, which will allow a credit for the sewer portion on the water bill. The meter equipment shall be maintained and repaired at the owner's expense.


For more information on this equipment and it's requirements, please call the Water and Sewer Department at (330) 633-0851 Option 4

Prior to Installation

You may wish to check with the Water and Sewer Department to verify your current water usage. Use of the meter gives the owner a credit on the sewer portion of the Water and Sewer bill only if the water usage exceeds 2000 cubic feet (the minimum charge for sewer service).

An image of a sewer meter

Installation & Use

  • A residential 5/8 inches water meter must be purchased to register outside water usage along with a reduced pressure backflow device and must be installed (by a licensed plumber) and maintained by the owner.  Please see attached specifications. 
  • An ERT device will need to be purchased at City of Tallmadge payment center.  The ERT is the digital encoder that is needed in order to get an accurate reading off of the meter.  Total cost of the ERT is $110.00.   
  • The meter must be inspected by the Tallmadge Water and Sewer Department before credit can be given. Upon inspection, the ERT will be wired to the meter in order for the readings to be received. 

Installation Requirements

  • Sewer deduct meters shall be installed permanently in the basement, near the outside line used for watering.
  • Meters shall be horizontal and at least 48 inches off the floor and 18 inches away from the wall.
  • Meters must be programmed to read in cubic feet in order for our billing software to record the read. 
  • An ERT must be wired at time of inspection. 

Meter Specifications

View a diagram of the meter with backflow equipment (PDF)

Backflow Device Requirements

All systems will be required to have an approved American Water Works Association/Environmental Protection Agency testable reduce pressure backflow device to protect the public water supply as well as tested annually by a licensed backflow person.

The Backflow Form (PDF) must be completed when inspection is scheduled and the form mailed to:

City of Tallmadge Water and Sewer Department

210 Osceola Avenue

Tallmadge, Ohio 44278

A form will then be mailed annually when inspection is due for the backflow device.