Street Opening Permit (for projects within the city's right-of-way):

  • Fill out a Right of Way Permit Application.
  • Prior to beginning the project, a pre-inspection will need to be scheduled with the Street Department at 330-633-5130.
  • Contractors working in the city's right-of-way must be registered. To register, see Contractor Registration.
  • All projects within the city's right-of-way require at minimum a $50 permit fee and $100 bond. (depending on the project, a higher bond may be set by the Public Service Department)
  • A final inspection must be scheduled and approved with the Street Department prior to the release of the bond. 

Contractor RegistrationWater and/or Sewer Permit (new tap-in):

  • It is important to determine whether or not the parcel is Tallmadge Water and/or Sewer before making application. If you do not know, contact the Water Department to confirm by calling 330-633-0851. 
  • Submit a Water and/or Sewer Permit Application.
  • The contractor making the sewer tie-in must be a registered plumber. To register, see Contractor Registration.
  • Inspections must be scheduled through the Water Department.

Zoning Certificates

A Zoning Certificate is required prior to issuance of a Building Permit. 

The processing of a Zoning Application may take up to 14 business days. 

Building Permit Applications may be made at the Summit County Building Department, 1030 E. Tallmadge Avenue in Akron, OH.

To obtain a Zoning Certificate  (Single Family Residences, Additions, Fences, Pools, Decks, etc.), applicants must provide the following:

  • A completed Zoning Certificate Application - Contact us for applications.
  • One (1) copy of a detailed site plan showing property boundaries, all structures on the property and proposed structure(s) indicating proposed setback measurement.
  • One (1) set of building plans with an elevated view.

To determine all your permitting needs, visit the Planning & Zoning Page for Applications.