What are the requirements for temporary pools, and do I need a Zoning Certificate?

Per the International Residential Code, a swimming pool is defined as “any structure intended for swimming or recreational bathing that contains water over 24 inches deep (filled to capacity). This includes in-ground, above ground and on-ground swimming pools, hot tubs, and spas”.  Pools must comply with the following regulations:

  • If the pool height is less than 48” from grade, installation of a fence around the pool is required.
  • The fence must be a minimum of 48" inches in height and the open holes or gaps shall not allow passage of a 4-inch-diameter.
  • Gates shall open outward away from the pool and must be self-closing and self-latching.
  • A removable or fold-up ladder or stairs is required and must be removed to prevent access when the pool is not in use.

Zoning Certificate is required for:

  • Any pool with a depth of 24” or above
    • Pool installation must meet the requirements as set forth per TCO 1327.02 APPENDIX G-Swimming Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs.
  • The installation of the fence barrier.

These Zoning Certificates are only required one time as long as the pool and the fence go in the same location every year and all regulations are followed.

All pools, no matter the size, must abide by the setbacks of the property.

These requirements may appear to be extreme when installing a temporary pool, but HUNDREDS of needless deaths occur each year from swimming pool accidents.

Show All Answers

1. What are the requirements for temporary pools, and do I need a Zoning Certificate?
2. When do you need a building permit?
3. When is a zoning certificate required for a project?
4. What it the size limit for building a detached garage or storage barn?
5. If I build a shed not exceeding 200 square feet, does it require a zoning certificate?
6. Who is responsible for locating my property lines?
7. How do I find out what my property is zoned?
8. Does Tallmadge require a pre-sale home inspection?